Tuesday, April 19, 2011

So fast and yet so slow

More of a personal note this time. I am amazed at how much of a fire I've lit under my own ass in the last 10 days. From no web presence, to a minuscule twitter following and an uncommented and likely unread blog. For now. Right? Of course I had neither of those prior to stumbling on JA Konrath's blog while researching IP trends (which lead into ebook piracy, then torrenting as self-promotion, then self publishing on Amazon, then pay-dirt.)

I have been writing forever, but always felt like the gauntlet of agents/editors/publishers was just overwhelming (and decidedly in opposition to the punk-rock diy ethic I grew up with.) I have looked into self-publishing via createspace and the like in the past, but that seemed like slim rewards for hard work. I absolutely hated the Kindle when it was first released, and gave it a 1 star review on Amazon. I cannot tolerate DRM, it was really expensive, etc. But Kindle (and Nook, etc.) have cracked the ereader market wide open, and I have the grace to admit I didn't see it coming. But I sure do love it.

For the first time in over twenty years I feel like there is a way for me to find an audience. I am writing like mad, reading like mad, and soon will be publishing like mad. It is an exciting time to be a writer.

No comments: