Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Creative Commons

First order of business - I tried for the second time today to record a podcast on my cell phone. No dice. Great tool for jotting down notes, terrible to listen to. I am hoping to either get a better microphone, or step up to a portable recorder (like the Olympus WS 710M). That, however, will have to wait until I can find the money.

The other option is if I get enough time, somehow, to record a podcast at home. Which I might try sometime this week. I certainly am not going to do a daily podcast from home, but weekly might not be to bad. The style guide there would be Mur Lafferty's excellent "I Should Be Writing".

On to other topics. I recently read the collected intros to Cory Doctorow's books, in one big PDF. Basically, a bunch of stuff about Creative Commons licensing, and how piracy is good for exposure, and not a threat, and so on. I am pretty much in agreement, and am now considering licensing my e-stuff under Creative Commons. And yes, the term "e-stuff" is my intellectual property, and is licensed for your use under the Creative Commons Non-Commercial attribution. (I probably got half of that license terminology wrong, hah, just making it up as I go along.)

Anyway, my take - Go to craphound.com, download the PDF, and read it. It will only take an hour or so of your time. Not only are his ideas interesting, most of the essays are from before ebooks got big (pre-2010, basically.) So the lens of hindsight adds interest.

Final note - I did some math this afternoon. Since I started writing fiction approximately 3 months ago, I have completed 9 short stories, and written about 42,000 words. I am very pleased by this. At the same time, I feel like this is an almost glacial pace, compared to the amount I got done in the last 3 weeks - 24,00 words, 4 short stories.

My current daily goal is 1,250 words of new fiction (not counting story ideas, blogging, or editing time.) Or 2 hours. I was at 500 words 2 months ago. I hope to work up to 2,000 in a few months (still in the 2 hour time frame.) Wish me luck :)

Link - http://creativecommons.org/

No comments: