Thursday, July 21, 2011

Touch Typing

One of my bugaboos is my typing speed and technique. Although I know how to  touch type, I am incredible slow at it. Especially compared to my favored technique, the look-at-my-hands-and-use-two-of-my-left-hand-fingers-and-three-of-my-right approach.

The really sad part is that I am actually much faster now than I was a few months ago. But, I really need to be able to touch type at all times.

It would help if I wasn't using a netbook keyboard half the time, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

So, in the interests of pushing myself over the edge (maybe not the best choice of words), I am issuing a new challenge to myself - the touch typing blog posting challenge. Basically, all of my blog posts, which I do every day, I am requiring myself to touch type. Every single one, all the way through.

This will guarantee that it takes me twenty or perhaps twenty five minutes to type each blog entry instead of my usual fifteen or so. But hopefully I will get past that pretty quick, and start picking up speed. Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up.

I am going to push harder on my idea bank transcriptions as well, that they be done by touch. Not require, not yet, but likely soon. Then the final blow will be transitioning to only touch typing all my fiction.

In the long run I hope to save a fair amount of time. This is whole 'nother blog post, but lately I've been working on writing via voice recorder. Actual finished text not just ideas or whatever. So far I am spending more time than I'm saving, but touch typing fluently is one of the things that could turn that around.

No comments: